March 1, 2012
- Post quick tidbits
- Post source documents
- Use video clips
- Use audio clips
- Feed in your tweets
- Curate the conversation
- Report unfolding stories
- Seek feedback
- Post drafts of stories
- Post frequently
Buttry highlights some excellent points on how to effectively cover a beat. I found the following tips to be most useful:
- Video and audio are key elements to hold readers’ attention.
- Linking can help increase credibility and provide further information on a topic.
- Reporters should get the audience involved in the conversation by asking questions and encouraging them to provide feedback on stories.
- Storify is an effective tool used to combine social media elements to tell stories.
- According to Jeff Jarvis, a story is a process, not a product. Reporters should get into the habit of posting information frequently. Report newsworthy events as it breaks.