Journalism Next: Chapter 4

February 15, 2012

Microblogging is a digital platform that allows users to users to post and publish messages with up to 140 characters. Twitter is currently the dominating platform for microblogging, with the ability to share links, photos and videos instantly. Nowadays, news breaks faster on Twitter than in mainstream media.

Young journalists can harness the power of microblogging through:

  • Sharing insight and connecting with the audience
  • Verifying facts and posting continuous updates during a breaking news story
  • Learning about audience through public interviews

With microblogging journalists can receive a more immediate response from a diverse crowd of followers and build a stronger network or readers.

Ellyn Angelotti, Interactivity Editor of Poynter Institute, shares the following guidelines to publishing effective stories:

  • Be informative
  • Stay relevant (timely stories)
  • Be instructive
  • Include links
  • Reflect your personality
  • Build relationships

Learn the Twitter basics:

  • DM (Direct message)
  • @ (Reply, comes before a Twitter ID)
  • RT (Retweet)
  • # (Hashtag)
  • Post message in 140 characters or less
  • Read messages on your Twitter home page
  • Read reply messages
  • Send direct messages (private)
  • Follow people and build a network
  • Go mobile with a smartphone
  • Use the 80/20 rule when posting: 80 percent  adds value to the community, the other 20 percent is self-promoting content

Entry Filed under: annibraz,briggs,comm361. Posted in  annibraz ,briggs ,comm361 .



Leave a comment

Required

Required, hidden

CAPTCHA
*

Some HTML allowed:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


RSS CNN Top Stories

RSS CNN Justice

RSS The Buttry Diary

RSS Mashable

Blogs


Tags